As I’m sure we’ve all seen on the news, Hurricane Harvey has brought devastation to many parts of Texas. However, through the destruction and loss of lives and homes, we see that this has also brought out the best in the people in Houston and all over the US. Amidst all the craziness, we’ve seen people come together and help one another in a big way.
What I’ve been thinking about this week is that it shouldn’t take a disaster such as this to make people stop and think about being nice to one another. We should be living with that mentality daily. So here is my challenge for all of us: take time to reflect on who you are and the part you play in your life with family, friends, coworkers, etc. and really reset your priorities. Reevaluate what you need to do in order to contribute more to those around you instead of living in a self involved world.
Life is short – in the blink on an eye a storm turned into a hurricane that resulted in the worst natural disaster we’ve ever seen. Even as you’re reading this, hurricane Irma is “rapidly intensifying in the open Atlantic and poses a major threat to the Caribbean and potentially to the United States next week,” according to CNN. Things can change THAT FAST.
Let's take a play from JJ Watt's book - just look at the impact he has had. He has raised almost 15 million dollars as of today! In his words, “I'm not just here for the initial fundraiser, I'm here to make sure that we take care of you down the road." Want to contribute? Click to donate: https://www.youcaring.com/victimsofhurricaneharvey-915053
Also, here is a list of verified organizations you can donate to:
- Direct Relief
- American Red Cross - Central & South Texas Region
You can make a $10 donation by texting "REDCROSS" to 90999
- Greater Houston Community Foundation: Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund
Started by Houston’s Mayor
- Upbring - 350+ families in need of funds after flooding
- Bastrop County Long Term Recovery Team
- Congressmen Carter Donation Drop-Off in Round Rock & Temple, TX
Thursday & Friday Hours
- Shelters Around Houston & Surrounding Counties
- Central Texas Shelters
- Victoria County United Way
- Salvation Army
- Team Rubicon
- National VOAD
- Houston Coalition for the Homeless
- Covenant House Texas - shelter for homeless youth
- Portlight - assistance for the disabled
- Texas Diaper Bank
- Corpus Christi Food Bank
- Galveston County Food Bank
- HEB Disaster Relief
- Houston Food Bank
- Victoria County Food Bank
- Driscoll Children’s Hospital in Corpus Christi
- DonorsChoose.org - help teachers rebuild and restock their classrooms
- SPCA of Texas
- All Hands Volunteers
- Launch Good is a Muslim crowdfunding site.
- Casa de Ana and Organizacion Latina de Trans en Texas - helping house trans communities members. They need monetary or physical goods like mattresses.
- Houston Independent School District (HISD Foundation) - specify Harvey in donate field and funds go to students/families affected
- Operation Supply Drop
- Undies For Everyone - 1. Donate funds 2. Donate via Amazon wishlist 3. Mail underwear: Address & Info at Brene Brown’s FB page