Confidence is part skill and part attitude. You gain it over time, but when you lack confidence you can tend to overcompensate and come across as arrogant or even difficult. The best way to gain confidence is to be open to learning, ask for feedback and get coaching. We all get overwhelmed during our day to day lives, so if you get it in your head that you are not good at something or can’t do something as well as others, you may be losing what confidence you have and it will take some positive thinking to get it back.
Here are a few tips to help you be confident:
- Think positively. The more you focus on what you can’t do, the more intimidated you’ll feel. Look at a new challenge not as a threat, but an opportunity to learn new things.
- Pay attention. Observe how others work, act and lead. Focus on how they use humor, silence, and charisma to influence others — then customize that behavior to your personal style.
- Be bold but not bossy. Hold your head up high, walk tall and sit up straight. Your body language conveys a lot about you and your ability to do the job.
- Watch your attitude. You can’t ever afford to show a negative attitude and that positive attitude will always give you confidence. There are many people who tend to say whatever they feel like saying and this can affect your future.
- Stop negative ‘self-talk’. Don’t put yourself down in your head. Give yourself ‘kudos’ even if no one else is
- Ignore gossip. There are many people who love to spew gossip meant to hurt others. Never be that person. Stay away from the fray!