Watch Your Mouth!
I learned many years ago from my parents (and my teachers) that I have 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason. Pay attention and listen. Over the years I have worked on this, but I am still a work in progress. In fact, the one thing I really remember from my French classes is this line – ‘ferme la bouche Solonge’! (My French name) ... In English this means – Close your Mouth!
What is so ironic is that now I speak for a living and closing my mouth doesn’t work. But I am learning when to hold back and not speak. Hard, yes!
So today we will take a minute to talk about adopting a new approach to running your mouth! I have heard over the years that the average woman speaks over 20,000 words a day – not to mention her chatter on texts and on social. Men – not sure about??
Let’s take some time and focus on how to slow down on the quick wit and think before we speak.
· Leave all negative chatter off social media
· Don’t gossip with anyone – it will come back to haunt you
· As our mothers taught us – if you don’t have something nice to say – don’t say anything
· In meetings take notes and circle what you want to come back to so that you speak with confidence
· Breathe and pause before belting it out
· Choose your words carefully
· Never put in writing what you would not say to a person’s face
· When listening to a spouse, partner, colleague, client or family member – do not judge and remember the proverb – believe the best before you assume the worst.
Have a wonderful weekend of good conversations XO