In 1991 I read a book by Faith Popcorn called the Popcorn Report. To say I loved it is an understatement. I read it several times and referenced it often. So why am I talking about it now, 26 years later? Simple. What she said then has a much relevance today and I thought I would give you a glimpse into the trends of years ago and the meaning today.
- You have to see the future to deal with the present
- In 1991 Faith said that in the year 2010 there would be two visions: Gloom vs. Hope
- Corporate America as we knew it in 1991 would be over in 2010 – WOW!
- Culture is back in the hands of the people
- Values are doing a turnaround
Now for her 10 Trends:
- Cocooning would become the trend – hence all the focus on home renovations, vintage, cooking, farming and heritage
- Fantasy Adventure – Everyone is escaping reality now and that is not just in travel but in how we lead our lives
- Small indulgences – we have too much stuff so therefore today we are seeing people spend money on a wonderful experience vs. the Armani jacket
- Egonomics – Faith said in 1991 that we would have everything customized and look where we are. Your Amazon Echo knows your every wish and customizes the weather reports for just you
- Cashing out – people are retreating to peace and quiet
- Down-Aging – Botox anyone????
- Staying Alive – health is the new wealth
- The vigilante consumer – welcome to Yelp!
- 99 lives – living longer and happier
- SOS (Save our Society) – Never stop believing that the good guy always wins
So my friends, you can see that what Faith Popcorn wrote about in 1991 is alive and well as we wrap up 2017. Her book may seem like an outdated read, but I assure you that it is worth the time. Enjoy The Popcorn Report!