I am often asked what I did to get where I am today. My answer is always the same and is really quite simple. I work so hard every day to do my best for my family, my employees and my clients. In a world of confusion and chaos, I truly believe we must stay true to our foundation. Hard and ethical work should come easy for anyone but today so many people want the easy way out. Even in the past 6 months I have personally seen people in the workplace do ridiculous things; actions that will set you back so far that it would take a miracle to propel you back into the forefront.
There is no secret to success. You have to work as a team, know your strengths, weaknesses and learn to inspire and challenge those around you. Sure there are times when I am so frustrated that I too want to say ‘oh forget it,’ but that moment lasts exactly 1 minute and I power through. I know what I am passionate about and no one will get in my way. So here are a few tips on what NOT to do in business today – unless of course you don’t care!
1. Don’t lie – it will catch up with you
2. Don’t turn your back on your team and company, it shows a lack of character – if you cheat on them you will cheat on others
3. Don’t ever quit a job without having another lined up
4. Don’t ever say you are leaving your job for one reason and then do something different – again people are not blind and if you are not authentic enough to tell truth, how can anyone trust you?
5. Don’t play the 9-5 game – put in the time, the hours and the blood, sweat and tears to make it happen – you are always being watched so give it your best
6. Don’t gossip – go to the source and get to the bottom of it
7. Don’t put your personal opinions in front of the success of the team
8. Don’t expect others to clean up your mess – grab the broom and do it yourself
9. Don’t take credit for what others did in order to get ahead
10. Don’t believe your own ‘PR’