While skiing this week in Breckenridge, Colorado I found it interesting that the ski code for safety can be easily applied to business.
So here is the SKI CODE:
- Prior to using any lift, you must have KNOWLEDGE and ability to load, ride and unload safely
- Always stay in CONTROL of yourself
- Always use devices to prevent runaway equipment
- People ahead of you have the right of way
- When going downhill look uphill to see who is coming
- You must not stop where you obstruct a trail
- Observe all posted signs and warnings – keep off closed trails
Now the lesson for business following the SKI CODE!
- Prior to making any sales calls or going into a meeting, make sure you have the KNOWLEDGE of the customer, the content/agenda of the meeting and have the ability to handle anything that comes your way
- Professional business leaders must be in CONTROL. You have to take care of all adversity that comes your way and stay ‘classy’ always
- If you use your technology devices properly you should have no issues in letting time run away with you. Organize, plan, prepare and have the ability to work anywhere – on or off the slopes!
- The client ahead of you has the right away – they make the decisions so you should be walking right next to them
- If you start to lose your edge and are going downhill (which in business is NOT good), always look up to see who is doing it better than you are
- Don’t stop when you see a tough trail – forge on and handle the terrain of rough times in business
- Pay attention to the signals you receive from clients, employees and competitors. Pay attention always!
So whether you are enjoying sports, skiing down the slopes or making those energizing sales or customer calls – DON’T FORGET THE CODE!