My Monday Mentor Moment this week focused on being ‘bullish’ and taking the bull by the horns. My message was directed to selling and creating more business. So today, I want to focus on the people side of the business.
People can be our biggest asset and sometimes our biggest pain in the ‘you know what.’ Yes, I am serious – can’t live with them and can’t live without them. Your people problems on the job can cause the biggest challenges in running your business or leading a team.
Don’t ignore these problems, don’t bury your head in the sand, don’t ignore them, don’t deny them or avoid them. You need to be bullish and take it ‘head on.’ The quicker you handle these issues, the more productive you and the entire team will be.
I love running my business like a gazelle – fast and furious, but I never blow by the issues. The elephant in the room is just too big and clumsy to ignore and once I spot trouble, I pounce. Now some would tell you I am too quick to judge but others would acknowledge my ability to handle conflict, face the problems and move on.
So here are some tips:
• Be decisive and get to the bottom of an issue before it becomes a huge problem
• Talk to the person involved right away – what caused the issue, what impact is it having on the team and productivity
• If it is a conflict between co-workers bring them both in and discuss it as a team
• Waste no time on blaming and finger pointing
• Focus on the observable issues and not the ‘attitude’
• Watch for ‘stormy weather’ – small signs of employee behavior such as moody, loss of enthusiasm or negativity
Don’t blame anyone but yourself if the issues continue. You have the ability to take the bull by the horns and fix the situation – so do it!