Success is an acquired taste and a learnable skill and people that are interested in living a 'good life' need to take responsibility for their success. It would be so terrible to wake one day and have regret for how you have lived your life. The song "Happy" by Pharrell Williams shows me that the world is interested in being happy and successful. I believe they do go hand in hand! So here are some of my tips to stay happy and be more successful. Remember as you read this you may think I am crazy - just keep in mind that I am happy and consider myself successful. So take my advice and see what happens!
1. Love your work or you may never find happiness. Yes you have to work harder than the average person if you want to succeed in life. I laugh at how many people work just to get to Friday. I haven't had an entire weekend off in years since I am in the hospitality industry and I love my Mondays as much as my Fridays!
2. I get things done - NOW! Too many people ignore the phone call that is 'tough,' procrastinate on the 'ugly' assignment and continue to push back the tasks that are not as much fun. I take every call (when available), handle every email (even on the road traveling hundreds of miles a year), and take care of things quickly avoiding missing any deadlines - YES this makes me happier because when I leave work I don't have the weight of the world on my shoulders.
3. I used to be one of those individuals that got out of bed with just enough time left to get ready and out the door. Now I find that getting up earlier, checking my emails and handling issues right away due to different time zones gives me the ability to be more organized, calm and productive once I hit the office. Remember for me the office is usually on the road. You have to spend just a bit more time getting things done, so that you can be 'more' successful.
4. Share the love and the work. Don't be a control freak. Allow other people to learn and grow by empowering them to do more. They will be happier too.
5. Don't waste time 'walking on eggshells.' My new mantra for the remainder of 2014 is to 'unleash the lion within.' Yes, I am a LEO but more importantly I love a good roar. For years I tried to soften my roar and found that caused me unnecessary stress. So from now I am I am confronting every issue head on, handling difficult clients first, having crucial conversations with friends and family and multiplying my ability to succeed.
6. Live each day in the moment and stop harboring problems from the past. I am moving on from issues that continued to fill my mind and living today with hope, passion and positive energy. I am a happy person and I have decided not to let the unhappy people come to my party. Think about the song 'Don't worry - be happy.' I used to think that was nuts - I had to worry, but now I am living the Happy song -
Because I’m happy...Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof....Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth...Because I’m happy
Clap along if you know what happiness is to you
Because I’m happy...Clap along if you feel like that’s what you wanna do!